Ann Rheum Dis. 2004 October; 63(10): 1255–1259.
Genetic mechanisms of knee osteoarthritis: a population based case–control study
To compare subjects who had at least one parent with a total knee replacement for severe primary knee osteoarthritis with age and sex matched controls who had no family history of knee osteoarthritis
Design: Population based case–control study of 188 matched pairs (mean age 45 years, range 26 to 60).
Methods: Articular cartilage volume and bone size were determined at the patella and at the medial tibial and lateral tibial compartments by processing images acquired using T1 weighted, fat saturated magnetic resonance imaging. Radiographic osteoarthritis (ROA) was assessed from a standing semiflexed radiograph scored for joint space narrowing and osteophytosis. Knee pain was assessed by questionnaire. Height, weight, body mass index (BMI), lower limb muscle strength, and endurance fitness were measured by standard protocols.
Results: Compared with the controls, index offspring had higher BMI (27.8 v 26.0 kg/m2, p = 0.02), weaker lower limb muscles (127 v 135 kg, p = 0.006), more knee pain (47% v 22%, p<0.001), and greater medial tibial bone area (17.6 v 17.1 cm2, p = 0.01). With the exception of BMI, these differences persisted in multivariate analysis. There was a non-significant trend to higher cartilage volume at tibial sites and increased ROA in the offspring in the total and subgroup analyses, but no difference in height and endurance fitness.
Conclusions: BMI, muscle strength, knee pain, and medial tibial bone area, but not cartilage volume, appear to play a role in the genetic regulation and development of knee osteoarthritis.
The Full Text of this article is available as a PDF
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
- Reginster JY. The prevalence and burden of arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Apr;41(Suppl 1):3–6. [PubMed]
- Felson DT, Naimark A, Anderson J, Kazis L, Castelli W, Meenan RF. The prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study. Arthritis Rheum. 1987 Aug;30(8):914–918. [PubMed]
- Spector TD, Hart DJ. How serious is knee osteoarthritis? Ann Rheum Dis. 1992 Oct;51(10):1105–1106. [PubMed]
- Coggon D, Reading I, Croft P, McLaren M, Barrett D, Cooper C. Knee osteoarthritis and obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 May;25(5):622–627. [PubMed]
- Cicuttini FM, Spector T, Baker J. Risk factors for osteoarthritis in the tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joints of the knee. J Rheumatol. 1997 Jun;24(6):1164–1167. [PubMed]
- Felson DT. Obesity and osteoarthritis of the knee. Bull Rheum Dis. 1992;41(2):6–7. [PubMed]
- Honkonen SE. Degenerative arthritis after tibial plateau fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 1995;9(4):273–277. [PubMed]
- McNicholas MJ, Rowley DI, McGurty D, Adalberth T, Abdon P, Lindstrand A, Lohmander LS. Total meniscectomy in adolescence. A thirty-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000 Mar;82(2):217–221. [PubMed]
- Spector TD, Cicuttini F, Baker J, Loughlin J, Hart D. Genetic influences on osteoarthritis in women: a twin study. BMJ. 1996 Apr 13;312(7036):940–943. [PubMed]
- Kujala UM, Leppävuori J, Kaprio J, Kinnunen J, Peltonen L, Koskenvuo M. Joint-specific twin and familial aggregation of recalled physician diagnosed osteoarthritis. Twin Res. 1999 Sep;2(3):196–202. [PubMed]
- Bijkerk C, Houwing-Duistermaat JJ, Valkenburg HA, Meulenbelt I, Hofman A, Breedveld FC, Pols HA, van Duijn CM, Slagboom PE. Heritabilities of radiologic osteoarthritis in peripheral joints and of disc degeneration of the spine. Arthritis Rheum. 1999 Aug;42(8):1729–1735. [PubMed]
- Hirsch R, Lethbridge-Cejku M, Hanson R, Scott WW Jr, Reichle R, Plato CC, Tobin JD, Hochberg MC. Familial aggregation of osteoarthritis: data from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging. Arthritis Rheum. 1998 Jul;41(7):1227–1232. [PubMed]
- Chitnavis J, Sinsheimer JS, Clipsham K, Loughlin J, Sykes B, Burge PD, Carr AJ. Genetic influences in end-stage osteoarthritis. Sibling risks of hip and knee replacement for idiopathic osteoarthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997 Jul;79(4):660–664. [PubMed]
- Zhai, Guangju.;Stankovich, James.;Ding, Changhai.;Scott, Fiona.;Cicuttini, Flavia.; Jones, Graeme. The genetic contribution to muscle strength, knee pain, cartilage volume, bone size, and radiographic osteoarthritis: a sibpair study. Arthritis Rheum. 2004 Mar;50(3):805–810. [PubMed]
- Loughlin J. Genetic epidemiology of primary osteoarthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2001 Mar;13(2):111–116. [PubMed]
- Jones G, Glisson M, Hynes K, Cicuttini F. Sex and site differences in cartilage development: a possible explanation for variations in knee osteoarthritis in later life. Arthritis Rheum. 2000 Nov;43(11):2543–2549. [PubMed]
- Hunter, David J.;Snieder, Harold.;March, Lyn.; Sambrook, Philip N. Genetic contribution to cartilage volume in women: a classical twin study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2003 Dec;42(12):1495–1500. [PubMed]
- Riis BJ, Hansen MA, Jensen AM, Overgaard K, Christiansen C. Low bone mass and fast rate of bone loss at menopause: equal risk factors for future fracture: a 15-year follow-up study. Bone. 1996 Jul;19(1):9–12. [PubMed]
- Hart, Deborah J.;Cronin, Camille.;Daniels, Maxine.;Worthy, Tina.;Doyle, David V.; Spector, Tim D. The relationship of bone density and fracture to incident and progressive radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee: the Chingford Study. Arthritis Rheum. 2002 Jan;46(1):92–99. [PubMed]
- Naganathan V, Zochling J, March L, Sambrook PN. Peak bone mass is increased in the hip in daughters of women with osteoarthritis. Bone. 2002 Jan;30(1):287–292. [PubMed]
- Slemenda C, Heilman DK, Brandt KD, Katz BP, Mazzuca SA, Braunstein EM, Byrd D. Reduced quadriceps strength relative to body weight: a risk factor for knee osteoarthritis in women? Arthritis Rheum. 1998 Nov;41(11):1951–1959. [PubMed]
- Withers RT, Davies GJ, Crouch RG. A comparison of three W170 protocols. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1977 Sep 16;37(2):123–128. [PubMed]
- Altman RD, Hochberg M, Murphy WA Jr, Wolfe F, Lequesne M. Atlas of individual radiographic features in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1995 Sep;3 Suppl A:3–70. [PubMed]
- Jones G, Cooley HM, Bellamy N. A cross-sectional study of the association between Heberden's nodes, radiographic osteoarthritis of the hands, grip strength, disability and pain. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001 Oct;9(7):606–611. [PubMed]
- Cicuttini F, Wluka A, Stuckey S. Tibial and femoral cartilage changes in knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2001 Oct;60(10):977–980. [PubMed]
- Jones G, Ding Changhai, Scott F, Glisson M, Cicuttini F. Early radiographic osteoarthritis is associated with substantial changes in cartilage volume and tibial bone surface area in both males and females. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2004 Feb;12(2):169–174. [PubMed]
- Maroudas A, Evans H, Almeida L. Cartilage of the hip joint. Topographical variation of glycosaminoglycan content in normal and fibrillated tissue. Ann Rheum Dis. 1973 Jan;32(1):1–9. [PubMed]
- Burr DB. The importance of subchondral bone in osteoarthrosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 1998 May;10(3):256–262. [PubMed]
- Manek, Nisha J.;Hart, Deborah.;Spector, Timothy D.; MacGregor, Alexander J. The association of body mass index and osteoarthritis of the knee joint: an examination of genetic and environmental influences. Arthritis Rheum. 2003 Apr;48(4):1024–1029. [PubMed]
- Lachance L, Sowers M, Jamadar D, Jannausch M, Hochberg M, Crutchfield M. The experience of pain and emergent osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001 Aug;9(6):527–532. [PubMed]
- Creamer P, Lethbridge-Cejku M, Hochberg MC. Determinants of pain severity in knee osteoarthritis: effect of demographic and psychosocial variables using 3 pain measures. J Rheumatol. 1999 Aug;26(8):1785–1792. [PubMed]
- Dieppe PA, Cushnaghan J, Shepstone L. The Bristol 'OA500' study: progression of osteoarthritis (OA) over 3 years and the relationship between clinical and radiographic changes at the knee joint. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1997 Mar;5(2):87–97. [PubMed]
- Dieppe P, Cushnaghan J, Young P, Kirwan J. Prediction of the progression of joint space narrowing in osteoarthritis of the knee by bone scintigraphy. Ann Rheum Dis. 1993 Aug;52(8):557–563. [PubMed]